September 23, 2009

NYC day 2

So after waking from an amazing evening where we heard the one and only Mary Anne Hobbs, and one of my favorite dubstep producers the magnificent DJ Pinch it was time to recharge and hit the city streets. But first a little brunch...
We rolled around the corner to a spot our friend had recommended called the The Half King and we were so glad we did! I had a serious 3 egg omelet with a bowl of fruit and granola while S1 took down a steak quesadilla.
But our mate Jeff took the cake with his belgium waffle. This thing was a beast, an amazing and incredibly delicious beast that I would take on again if given the opportunity. After that we settled up and headed out to hit a few fine stores down in soho.
First stop: Uniqlo
And this place blows H&M, Gap, and any other store that carries your basic wardrobe pieces out the water. The cut and fit is the best I've seen yet. Especially on a guy like me who's so skinny, yeah for thoses that don't know I'm still sporting the same frame I had when I was 16, but I can out eat you any day guaranteed.
Next up was the RRL shop on Prince street. I will simply say this; stop in here and check it out. I have yet to be disappointed with the layout and style of this place. Seriously, Ralph Lauren, your visual layout and emphasis on creating a story are no joke on top of that they carry some amazing denim, bags, and flannels!
Now we had to make our way over to this little spot called Schiller's to meet up with High Snobiety/Selectism columnist Tony Gervino. Tony is a great guy and I'm so glad to have had a moment to meet up and chat. Schiller's also had this amazing gothic-like bathroom and communal washroom for both the gents and the ladies to socialize while freshening up. You can see the men's door on the right and the women's on the left. They also had these giant creepy urinals, but I thought it best not to take a picture and leave your imagination to run wild. According to S1 there was a faint odor of cheese.
We finished up our coffee, said farewell to Tony and headed around the corner to check out our boy Kiya's new store Self Edge, which is a fantastic place specializing in Japanese selvedge denim. They even carry the super rugged 23oz Ironheart denim. This pair of jeans is not for the weak!
After about 5 pairs of jeans and 2 hours time I settled on this pair of Imperial Shearer Denim. I'll keep posting as they break in. I also have to say the store looks fantastic and the staff there were super knowledgeable and friendly to us. Big ups to the Self Edge guys! From here we went back to relax, grab some dinner and prepare for the Trouble & Bass 3yr Anniversary show later on in the evening. But you'll just have to wait till the next post to see what went down.

No comments:

Post a Comment